Doll Hair: free pattern and tutorial-Step 1, The Base



Today I have a crochet pattern that I made for the base cap of doll wigs.  On Wednesday I will provide a tutorial for making the curls.  And follow up with a tutorial on how to cut the hair and latch them in.  I am in the process of making a "Fancy Nancy" inspired doll for my daughter's 3rd birthday.  I have made up the pattern for the doll's body and the embroidery for her face.  I plan on posting that for y'all next week.  Hopefully I will get to clothes and a costume or 2 as well before her birthday.  (I also have a great idea for tulle that I have to get done before her Bday and post out here.)  Too many things to enjoy doing, if only we didn't need sleep!  (And I love sleeping too.)

I made this doll about 2 years ago.  As you can see her hair is still lovely and curly, despite being my little one's "darlin'."  When I made her I was unsure how to attach a wig or what the best method was.  I did not want to do the rooted method, it seemed to tedious and delicate.  I didn't want to glue hair or a cap on because I was afraid it wouldn't survive washing and playtime.  I wanted to make a durable wig to go on a doll that could be loved and played with for years.  I can crochet and knit, so I thought that was a good way to form a base cap.  It works wonderfully.

Here's my method:

I use Worsted Weight yarn.  You could use finer or thicker yarn but you would have to adjust your pattern to end up the the same size base cap.


Abbreviations: 
MR – magic ring – a method of creating a tight starting round
Sc – single crochet
Hdc – half double crochet 
Ch – chain
Sl St – slip stitch

Round 1: (Using MR method) 6sc in ring, join with slip stitch in top of the first sc, pull tail to tighten the base of the stitches so you have a very small opening and a nearly perfect circle = 6sc

Round 2: ch 2, (2hdc in each sc)6x, sl st in 1st hdc = 12hdc

Round 3: ch 2, (hdc in hdc, 2hdc in hdc)6x, sl st in 1st hdc = 18hdc

Round 4: ch 2, [(hdc in hdc)2x, 2hdc in hdc]6x, sl st in 1st hdc = 24hdc

Round 5: ch 2, [(hdc in hdc)3x, 2hdc in hdc]6x, sl st in 1st hdc = 30hdc

Round 6: ch 2, [(hdc in hdc)4x, 2hdc in hdc]6x, sl st in 1st hdc = 36hdc

Round 7: ch 2, [(hdc in hdc)5x, 2hdc in hdc]6x, sl st in 1st hdc = 42hdc

Round 8: ch 2, [(hdc in hdc)6x, 2hdc in hdc]6x, sl st in 1st hdc = 48hdc

1/2 Round 9: ch 2, 2hdc in hdc, [(hdc in hdc)7x, 2hdc in hdc]3x, sl st in hdc, tie off = 29hdc


Here is what the cap looks like for my latest doll.  It will stretch out over the head when the "hairs" are attached and I sew it on.  You want the cap to be snug.  I'll have the pattern and tutorial for her next week!


Looking for a doll to put it on?

Comments

  1. It brings back my love of doll-making when my kids were small. I crocheted a cap with finger loops of yarn to make a curly doll wig. I also used to use a hairpin lace loom to make strips of "fringe" hair to sew to the doll's head. Pickled okra -- yum!
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are memories I look forward to having! :o) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Hi do you have a tutorial on how to attach the wig cap to the doll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry but I do not. I will try to make one with my next doll I make. I have made up a new pattern recently, but am already done with it and it is given away. So, it will be a little while before I make another. I will tell you what I do though. I position it on the head where I want it and safety pin the cap to the head. I then use a heavy duty thread in the same color as the yarn hair to sew it on. I always do the front first, and secure every other stitch with a simple sewing knot (like you would use when sewing on a button). I re-thread 2-3 times to make it all the way around. You could put some anchoring threads on the cap to the skull if you wanted, but I have found that making the edge secure all the way around is enough.

      Delete
  3. I love how this looks. I was wondering if the technique only works with acrylic yarn? I have a large stash, but it's all merino or alpaca, even camel...but no acrylic. 😞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I explain that in step 2. You can look at it and find more information that may be helpful. I am sorry to say that the oven method is for acrylic only. On the positive side, you have a stash full of awesome yarn! You could just use step 1 & 3 and have a doll with straight hair instead of curly. Or you could felt the curls. However, keep in mind your doll will not be machine washable if you do not use acrylic yarn. You will need to wash it like you would a much-loved wool sweater. Or you can just go pick up some nice color in an acrylic and carry on. I hope you aren't discouraged and will try making a doll. They are so much fun!

      Delete
    2. I'm not discouraged, I'll figure something out. It's my first time making dolls, it's for my kids for Christmas, so I want to make sure they are cute but sturdy. 😉 thank you for your help.

      Delete
  4. I love this technique! Just finished my first doll using it for a friend who wanted curly hair to match her daughter's. The doll is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing this technique! One question. You say it can go through the washer, but I'm wondering if it also can handle the dryer or is best air-dryed? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you use acrylic yarn it can go through both the washer and the dryer. I put my daughter's dolls through the wash in a pillowcase tied at the end. That preserves their faces and hair from getting caught on anything and messed up. It makes the drying process a little longer, but it's worth it. Stay there permanently and look great.

      Delete
  5. I make dress up costumes for my grandkids and cannot wait to adapt this to use as a wig for my grandaughter. Meredith and Brave, here we come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the finished product!!! I use this pattern for all my doll wigs, they are too cute. I've had many compliments on my dolls and the hair. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I remember years ago seeing a similar method, but had forgotten about it till seeing your tutorial. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there anything else you can do if you don't know how to crochet? Can you take a yarn cap and cut a circle out, then somehow put the edges where they don't come apart? I want someone to teach me how to crochet a circle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i dont crochet how can i do this without making the cap ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What size crochet needle do you use for this? Sorry if it is above and I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am making rag doll a graduation. Cap and gown with tassel and honor cord for her graduation gift. Black yarn for hair. I am not done yet. Royal blue gown same as her gown color.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment