No Sew Bat Wings, a 10 minute costume tutorial

Happy Halloween y'all!

The latest issue of Highlights magazine had a drawing of a spooky house filled with people in different costumes.  The one of te family in bat costumes captured my little ones attention.  She promptly asked me to make he bat wings and this idea sprang instantly to mind.  I know it's a little over 4 hours until October 1st, but it never hurts to get ahead.  So, here is my first installment of Makin' it Monday a new series I am starting on my blog.  If you loved this tutorial check out my DIY tulle spider hairbow.  Enjoy!

By the way I made her dress using this awesome bubble dress pattern from Straight Grain.

  
Step One:
How to Measure.
You don't need a measuring tape to make this (though I used one).  You can use a piece a string to measure.

For the wingspan, have your child stand with their arms at their side.  Then measure from thumb to shoulder with the string, add from that point on their shoulder to the other side, add from that point on the shoulder down to their other thumb.  Add 1-4 inches to make it drape and fly well.

For the length measure from the middle of the back of their neck down to where you want the ending tip to be.  This measurement would be the exact amount of fleece you need.  3/4 yard of fleece is just a general measurement that should be sufficient for most, but it may be way too much or you may need a bit more.  One size never fits all.


Step two:
Use your wing span measurement to measurement to find the width of the fleece you need and then fold it in half in order to cut both sides at the same time.  


Step three:
Find 3 circular objects and place them on the folded fleece angling from the tip of the wings to the tip on the bottom.
Using these as a guide mark the fleece with chalk or anything else you find handy. 


Step four:
Cut along your guides.  As you can see I left a large squared area on the end for the hands.


Step five:
Keeping the fleece folded in half, cut through both layers near the center.  Then move over a few inches and cut through both layers again, move slightly over and cut through both layers.


Step six:
Lace through the holes for your cape.


Step seven:
Fold fleece in half again and cut the thumb holes in the wings tips.

Dress it up how you like it!




I am linking this in the
Check them out!

 I'm #26.

handmade halloween I'm #14.

Comments

  1. Wow, that costume is adorable! Such a great Halloween outfit. Thank you very much for using my pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a great pattern. I really love how it came out & it wasn't complicated.

      Delete
  2. that looks super cute and I'm a huge fan of EASY!!! great tutorial, those bowls work perfectly. I came over from the costume link party... I just linked up my boys football player costumes for this year... :o) Emily@nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm going to go check it out! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, adorable and looks like lots of fun:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you through Funky Polkadot Giraffe. Such a cute idea and a very cute little model! Thanks for sharing the how-to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable idea. My son will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fleece and no sew ideas!! Thanks for stopping by the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop I co-hosted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quicker, the better for kids! Fleece is great that way! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these are great! Easy, Cheap, and Cute my three favorite types of projects all in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like your blog too! I just followed it on Blog Lovin, FB and Pinterest! :o) Great site.

      Delete
  10. These costume ideas are great and your daughter is adorable! Thank you so much for linking this up to Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop! We'll start a new hop this Sunday at 8pm Central time--hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute! My name is Katie and I host Fall Into the Holidays, open Saturdays. All entries get pinned. I would love to have you link up! This week’s round is still open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll head over and make you a part of my weekly linking fun!

      Delete
  12. that is super cute, and I love the trick to cutting out the scallops, I would never have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love it when I see a new way of doing something and I am glad that I have shared a new way with you. :o)

      Delete
  13. Super cute! I can see using this technique for all sorts of different wings...fairies, butterflies, bird wings...so many ideas! If you're looking for another place to share your projects, I would love to have you stop by Etcetorize and join our Make it Monday party. It opens on Sunday evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will try to remember to join next week! :o)

      Delete
  14. Love it! It would make great dragon wings too. My kids are really into How to Train Your Dragon and these bat wings fit the main dragon character Toothless perfectly! Pinning to the Show Me Saturday Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right! I never thought of that! Thanks for pointing it out. :o)

      Delete

Post a Comment