DIY Mecury & Gold Glass Planter


Easy and elegant presents made quickly and inexpensively in bulk.  It seems too good to be true, but here it is!
This is a project I have had in my head for a few months.  I'm finally getting around to it.  Once you have the materials it is inexpensive to make a large quantity of these and would make awesome Christmas/Holiday presents. I recommend buying a Jade.  Look at the written instructions for step 9 to see why.  It's a simple project and only takes a few minutes of activity, but you have to wait for everything to dry between steps which takes a few hours.  I am going to find a couple of different height candle sticks to make a grouping for my house and I may make this for my lovely family and my son's teachers.  I'll keep you posted.

Materials for the Planter:
Glass fish bowl
Glass candle stick holder
Clear Caulking
Gold Metallic Spray Paint
Looking Glass Spray Paint (I have found it at Hobby Lobby and some WalMarts.)
Water Spray Bottle

Potting Materials:
Small Succulent Plant
Small Stones
Potting Soil

Make it yours:
You can skip the steps painting the Glass Gold up to the halfway point on the bowl if you want a smooth look.  It creates a molten look to have it sprayed underneath and the mirror look on top with water sprayed on them.  I want a partial smoothness so I did it half way.  You could do the whole thing to achieve a complete molten look.  
Instructions to the photos at the bottom.

1. Gather your materials for the Planter.
2. Caulk the rim of the candlestick holder and press the middle of the globe to it. Let dry 3 hours.
3.  Tape Newspaper halfway up the side of the globe.
4. Spray paint the exposed areas gold.  Let dry 20 minutes.
5.  Remove the paper.
6. Spray the outside with Looking Glass spray paint and madly squirt it like it's on fire.
(I spray painted the inside with gold too.  But I forgot to take a picture.)
Let dry for 30 minutes and then wipe off any water droplets.
7.  Assemble your potting materials.
8.  Put 1.5" to 2" of stones in the bottom.  Then fill with potting soil.
9.  Plant your Succulent.  ( I used a Jade.  I love Jade because they are hardy as long as you keep them out of the frost.  All you have to do the grow a new Jade is break off a leaf or stem and stick it in the soil.  It is a great plant to regrow and could make lots of gifts easily for Christmas, if you do it soon.)
10.  Water it with 3 tablespoons.  Water it once a week with 1-2 tablespoons and put near and window and let it thrive.
Love Oreos?  Craving Chocolate?  Check out these great recipes:




Comments

  1. Oh oh! I know what to put in them! Twigs and holly branches! (Btw I love the plant idea as a gift! )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment