Ruffled Tunic, Free Pattern and Tutorial



I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
I made this for Blythe and thought I would share.  It was an easy pattern to make and a super easy & fast project to sew.  It is a size 2T to 4T.   The neck can be easily made smaller or larger with the elastic, making the size versatile.

Materials:
1 3/4 yard of flannel
11" of 1/2" elastic
3.5 yards of pom-poms
Thread to match your fabric and pom-poms

Here is your pattern:
(Right click on the sheet you want and left click "Open image in new tab," then print--Ctrl P or Apple P.  Make sure that it is printing at 100% and not "fit to page.")

Directions to put it together are written on the pattern.  a goes to a, b to b, & c to c with out overlapping the papers.

First I over-edge stitched the bottom on my inside ruffled collar pieces, the sleeve cuffs, and the bottom of the tunic front and back pieces to keep them neat and unfrayed.

On to the pattern:
1. Attach the inside ruffle pieces to the neck edge on the sleeves, and the front & back pieces--right side facing right side so that when you fold it over to the inside it looks like the first picture.
2. Attach the pockets beginning 1/2 way down--right side facing right side so that when you fold it out to the inside it looks like the second picture. Then pin the curves from the inside ruffle to the armpit together on one side as you see in the second picture.
3. Sew the sleeves to the front and back pieces.  Fold down the inside ruffle pieces, iron it down, and sew the bottom down leaving a 1" opening.  Sew a line 3/4" parallel above it.  Put a large safety pin on end of your elastic and work it into the opening and around the collar.  Pull the neck to the size you want and sew the edges of the elastic together firmly. Close the opening. When you open up the tunic it will look like the third picture. (You could turn in the fabric on the cuffs, iron it down, and attach the pom-poms at this point. I did it at the end, but you can now as well.)
4. Fold the front to the back, like the fourth picture and sew from bottom on the tunic, around the pocket, to the arm pit and down the cuff. This is only 2 seams, I used an over-edge stitch.
5. Turn the bottom edge in and iron down. Sew pom-poms to it.  Repeat the same with the cuffs if you didn't in step 3.
For the ribbon I made a boutique bow using 2.5" wide ribbon for the bow and 1" wide ribbon for the knot.  I have sewn it on a large safety pin so that I can remove it for cleaning and nap times.
Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Well, your Blythe is just as adorable as the tunic you've created! Next year I will not be painting walls at Christmas time so I can create apparel like this for our granddaughters. Thank you for the tutorial. I'm visiting from WOW and Pinning your little cutie for future reference. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vickie! It is fun to make things for the little ones we love. :o)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful tunic! Wish I had a little girl to make something cute like this. We'll be featuring your tunic over at Someday Crafts tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable tunic, cant wait for my daughter to have kids so i can make her stuff like this, I sew and this is a great pattern!

    Maria
    http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. adorable! Thanks for the free pattern! I've pinned this to my sewing for kids board!!! AND I've featured this on my weekend sewing features. thanks for linking up to create link inspire party! Awesomeness!! I'm also going to give a shout out on all my social media.. hope you are able to do the same... Happy Weekend! Emily
    http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/12/top-five-christmas-sewing-tutorials.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! I appreciate the encouragement and the feature! I have shared it on Facebook and Twitter. I hope you are having a wonderful wekkend!

      Delete
  5. I wish I knew how to sew! I would love to make these kinds of dresses for my little Stella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try if you have a machine. This pattern is perfect for a beginner. You can do it!

      Delete
  6. Such a cute tunic and your sweetie pie model really makes it pop. How fun! I'm not much of a sewist but I know two precious little girls who would love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison! I hope you make them one! :o)

      Delete
  7. Met you at Wonderful Wednesday - I don't have little kids but boy is that the cutest. I shared it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing! Pinning so I can make one!

    Linda
    www.nightowlcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I would love to see it when you do! :o)

      Delete
  9. This tunic is beyond adorable on little Blythe! Thanks for sharing the pattern! I may make one for my daughter!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She would look adorable in it! And thank you for hosting! I always love finding a new great party to join!

      Delete
  10. Another great pattern that I pinned to my new sewing group. I'd love you to join us! pinterest.com/freestylemama/so-sew-cute/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely adorable! Love it! Can I shrink my Sammie back to that age!? lol Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is such a sweet age! I am enjoying every minute of it!

      Delete
  12. Hi Charlie thanks for linking this up to My Favorite Things. You chanced your site up a bit? Looks nice! Have a great week ahead & hope to see you next week @DearCreatives Theresa ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for noticing Theresa! I am pretty excited about my new look. You have a wonderful weekend too! See you next week! :o)

      Delete
  13. Oh this is so gorgeous! Completely love it ... thank you so much for sharing. Do hope you'll come and share more of your fab patterns at my #EmptyYourArchive link party - Alice @ Mums Make Lists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! I will have to do that this week. :o)

      Delete

Post a Comment