Making Lila's Hair: Crocheting a Cap and Making a Wig


I have simplified my doll cap as well as the pattern.  To make a doll wig you need a base to attached it to.  I like having a crocheted cap because it can be detached and repaired easily.  One of the most important qualities I value in a handmade toy is durability and easy cleaning.  I want toys that will stand up to heavy loving!
I used Vanna's Choice in "Pink Poodle" for Lila's hair.
This pattern uses WW yarn with a 5mm crochet hook.
Abbreviations: 
MR – magic ring – a method of creating a tight starting round
Sc – single crochet
Hdc – half double crochet 
Ch – chain
Sl St – slip stitch

Round 1: (Using MR method) 6sc in ring, join with slip stitch in top of the first sc, pull tail to tighten the base of the stitches so you have a very small opening and a nearly perfect circle = 7sc

Round 2: ch 2, (2hdc in each sc)7x, sl st in 1st hdc = 12hdc

Round 3: ch 2, (hdc in hdc, 2hdc in hdc)7x, sl st in 1st hdc = 18hdc

Round 4: ch 2, [(hdc in hdc)2x, 2hdc in hdc]7x, sl st in 1st hdc = 24hdc

Round 5: ch 2, [(hdc in hdc)3x, 2hdc in hdc]7x, sl st in 1st hdc = 30hdc

Round 6: ch 2, [(hdc in hdc)4x, 2hdc in hdc]7x, sl st in 1st hdc = 36hdc

Round 7: ch 2, [(hdc in hdc)5x, 2hdc in hdc]7x, sl st in 1st hdc = 42hdc

To make the yarns curls click here:

After the cap was complete I blocked off my area that I wanted to put bangs in.  (I went from 14 stitches across at the bottom, up 4 rows, and 8 across at the top.)

Once this is done you can cut straight yarn for the bangs and trim it across where you want the bangs to fall once they are all latched on.  Here is how to latch on the yarn for hair:

I hope you enjoy making your doll for a special little someone in your life.


Comments

  1. So cute! I love this idea I am doing a giveaway today and would love if you would stop by and check it out! http://www.thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I just found your blog and i'm LOVING it. The instructions on how to make doll hair are awesome especially the one about making curly hair! Keep up the good work. With love in Christ -Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for letting me know! I don't post nearly as much as I would like (or intend) to, but I am glad that you are enjoying the content that I have made over the past year. Having a new baby really slows down what I can do right now! However, I really enjoy making my blog and plan to keep on going with it unless the Lord directs otherwise and I find comments like yours very encouraging. :o) Have a wonderful day!

      Delete

Post a Comment