Free Pattern: Spring Party Dress, Part 1: The Top

Here is my little darling in her new spring dress!  I made a matching pattern for 18 inch dolls that you can find here:

It took longer to make this post than it did the dress!  That's just the way it works sometimes.  My Blythe loves her new dress and my mama actually wanted me to dress her in it (with her pink Converses and blue jean jacket) for a little girl time shopping this past Saturday!  That is a big deal because my mama is crazy about cute children's clothes, she owned a little boutique when I was little and dressed me & then my little sister like dolls.  (I never stayed clean long.  Poor mama!)  So, for her to love it was kind of a big deal to me.  :o)
Here is your pattern with all the details and tutorials to follow.  I hope it is clear.  I am mainly self taught.  Though there are some amazing sewing skills in my family and I received my first machine before I was 4, I was given free reign to sew how I thought best without instruction on construction--and that may not be the best way.  However, it works for me & should work for you!  (If you know a better way, let me know.)  Have fun!

This dress is approximately a 4T for a 21" waist, it is roomy though.  My god daughter is a 2T and I will be adding her size soon.
These are jpeg images that you can print on 8.5"x11" paper, make sure that it prints at 100%, not fit to page.  Click here for the pdf of the pattern if you have trouble printing the jpeg pattern.

Materials:
1 1/2 yard of fabric
2 1/2 yards of extra large rick rack
3 1" buttons
Cut 2 2"x5" strips from the scraps left from the top (or you can cut a strip of paper and pin it to be cut out like I did)
Thread to match dress fabric and rick-rack
Scissors, pins, whatever you like to use 
1. Sew the shoulder seams of the front inside to the back inside pieces. Sew the shoulder seams of the front outside to the back outside pieces. Iron the sleeve pieces in half.  I made inside and outside pieces because I wanted to protect her from any itchy seams that might irritate her when she wears it.  This is also why the inside pieces are longer than the outside, it provides a barrier to the gathered skirt seam rubbing against her.
2. Cut 6" from a selvage edge of the fabric left over to make pockets from (making my fabric 39" wide).  
3. Half the remaining fabric, you now have 2 rectangles ( mine measured 17.5"x39"). 
I gathered the sleeves to 8".  Sew the gathering stitches on the outside curve, the fold will be the edge of the ruffle on the dress.  Sew from edge to edge on the fabric, don't go off of it.  This makes it easier to gather for me.  I have a friend the runs parallel lines and pulls the same thread from each line to gather with in case one breaks, but this has never been a problem for me.  However, it is sound advice if you have had an issue with this before.
1. Sew the sleeve to the inside pieces on the right side on the fabric on the edge.  Pull out the threads that you used to gather the sleeves.  
2. Put the inside and outside pieces together, right side facing right side, wrong sides out--pictures 1 & 2.  
3. Sew the armholes curves together with a 1/4" seam.  
4. Sew from 2" above the bottom of the back out side piece, around  to the neck. At this point arrange your rick rack to slightly more than half is on the inside and slightly less than half will show up on the out side of the neck when you turn it right side out. (I forgot this step and had to add it onto the neck after it was already closed.  You cannot tell a difference on the outside, but it would have looked much nicer on the inside.  I hate forgetting things!)  Sew around the neck and down the other side to 2" above the bottom outside piece.  Turned right side out it will look like picture 3. 
5. Sew the underarms together by sewing the right side of the inside pieces together and the right side of the outside pieces picture 4. You will now be ready to add the skirt.  You can see what this seam will look like in picture 4 on the tutorial for adding the skirt in part 2.
I will add the skirt and the pockets tutorial on the next post!  Have a wonderful evening!
Here is part 2, adding the skirt:



One more picture!


Comments

  1. This is SOO cute! Thanks for the pattern too. I've been sewing some doll clothes so am going to make this doll dress for sure!! featured you over at Nap-Time Creations today! Thanks for linking to Create Link Inspire! Come on over and check out all the fun features ;o) Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! You are so sweet! I will be sure to check it out and share! :o)

      Delete
  2. The dress is so cute! Thanks for the pattern. Visiting from Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is darling! I will definitely put it on my to-make list :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! I would love to see it when you are done! :o)

      Delete
  4. I just found your blog! Love it! Thought I would comment to say my little ones name is Blythe, she will be excited to hear that I found a little person with her name! Really enjoy your blog- it is a new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad you enjoy my blog! It's awesome that you have a little Blythe too. I love her name. I love the Anne books and all of her & Gilbert's kids. I was so happy when my husband liked the name Blythe too! We have a hard time finding names we both like! How did you end up using Blythe?

      Delete
  5. Hi Charlie, This is seriously adorable! & I loved your cake entry too. Thanks for sharing at the My Favorite Things Party. Hope to see you again this week Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa! I am glad you like them! :o)

      Delete
  6. well, I already featured this and told you how much I like it, but I just want wanted to let you know that I've put together a post called 20+ free sewing patterns for kids and this is part of it!! I've spread the word all around and I hope you will see some extra visits ;o) Emily http://nap-timecreations.com/2014/04/20-free-sewing-patterns-for-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I wish I sewed! My Tootsie would love a baby doll dress like this!

    I would love for you to share your creativity at my Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! The party is live now and starts each Saturday morning at 8:00 am EST.

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an easy pattern if you wan to give it a try. Thank you for the invitation! I will be there this week. :o)

      Delete
  8. This is a very easy and lovely pattern for a mother and daughter to make together!... you are so talented and its amazing how quick you can make these patterns! thanks for entering my Party.. So sweet of you!
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel like I make the quickly! Hahaha! Thanks though Maria. :o) And thank you for hosting.

      Delete
  9. Did you ever add the pattern in the 2T size?? I would love to have it for my Grand-daughter. I'm very new to sewing, but this looks like a pattern that I could handle. Thank you in advance for responding to my comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry. I meant to, but I get excited easily and move on. I have crafting ADHD! It is an easy pattern. I would suggest printing it out at 90%. Take her measurements and see how they compare. You want a couple of inches of ease in the chest and waist. Just trim at the fold line and back if you need to. You can do it!

      Delete
  10. You are an amazing gal! I've just found you and a little old,,, 69,, but i marvel at what you can do,, I am a bit of a creator myself.. but not in sewing... knitting and crochet is my thing. I need to make some AG clothes for my neices daughter.. may i just be sure that the seam allowance of 1/4" is correct? Just my thinking.. and is it included in your pattern piece... Thank you again for being so talented and generously sharing... Hugs, GrammaBabs:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment