The Secret to Eggless Baking


I have an announcement...I'm going to have another baby!  Yea!
I have been sick and tired since the end of January and I am starting to feel better, so hopefully you will get more posts this month.  :o)
I discovered in Febuary that I couldn't eat eggs.  Eggs are one of my favorite foods, and I miss them.
 However, eggs and anything that has them in it make me seriously ill for hours.  It's the weirdest thing.  Once I figured that out it helped, before that I felt as badly as I did going through chemo in my early twenties.  It was crazy!  On the other hand, though I have been sicker this pregnancy than I have ever been with the others, I am not having crazy mood swings.  I guess it's a fair trade!
I have been craving sweets, though I have to eat small amounts.  I have been working on baking with out eggs for the past 6 weeks and have some great recipes to share.
Before I start my new series of recipes, I want to share how I have been adapting recipes.  So if you or someone you love cannot have eggs, you can adapt your favorite recipes too.
For cookies substituting ground flax seed has been wonderful. 
You want to freshly grind the flax seeds yourself, right before you use it with a coffee or herb grinder.  I use golden flax seeds because they are light in flavor and don't affect the flavor of the recipe noticeably.  The darker seeds have a stronger nutty flavor and you will notice the flavor in your recipe.  I like the nutty flavor, but you will have to experiment to see what you prefer in which recipe.  My goal thus far has been to make recipes that are just as amazing as there original.
When you mix the freshly ground flax seeds with the hot water it sets up in a few minutes into a gooey, mucus-y looking mess.  The consistency is similar to a fresh egg white.
For cakes a mixture of apple sauce and fresh flax seed goo has worked the best.  My sweet friend Anyonita (from Anyonita Nibbles, an awesome food blog) told me that she had success with applesauce.  It made sense to me because I have used applesauce to replace oil and reduce fat in cakes and eggs are a fatty moisture addition too.  I had found that if I just used flax seed, the cake was too heavy.  However, if I only use applesauce, it seemed a little dry.  So I combined the ideas and worked out proportions.

So, now you can experiment with your own recipes!
1/4-1/3 c. of applesauce
or 
1 T. of freshly ground and 3 T. of hot water
equal an egg
You just have to find the proportions that work for you!

I will be posting an amazing Vegan Carrot Cake tomorrow, so come on back!
Linked on Wow us Wednesday and these other parties I love!

Linked on Wow us Wednesday and these other parties I love!

Comments

  1. Awww aren't you a sweetheart?! I am so glad that you shared this! When I substituted eggs for applesauce, it was in a brownies recipe & since brownies are so naturally moist anyway, I guess that's why they weren't dry, but I can totally see that happening with cakes. So this is a very good tip to know! :) Pinned it, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anyonita. Your food blog is wonderful. Oh my yum! I love it! I think you are right, brownies would work very well with applesauce.

      Delete
  2. First let me say congratulations!! Second, before you completely give up on eggs, have you always eaten white eggs? I know people say there is no difference, but growing up in Massachusetts, I think the only time I ever saw white eggs was around Easter. I actually prefer brown eggs from a flavor perspective (although again, most say there is no difference). What does this have to do with eggs making you sick?? After moving to New York, we noticed that Dad would always get sick from eating eggs. It wasn't until we realized it was the white eggs that were doing it that we started really working at finding brown eggs here (not always easy). I'm not sure what your specific egg problem is, but I do know that he had some sort or sulphur allergy. If you have that same problem, you might want to give brown eggs a shot before giving them up for good. :) [#TastyTuesdays]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure what it is about the eggs that make me sick. However, I have my own brown egg laying chickens and I didn't notice a difference in how I felt between eating white eggs from the store or my own chicken's eggs. I am hoping it is just a weird pregnancy thing and will be over after I have my new little one.

      Delete
  3. Good to know! I'm going to try it :-) I've used chia seeds instead of eggs at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks & you're welcome! I have never tried chia seeds. Maybe I will in the future! :o)

      Delete
  4. I love egg-ful eats, so I hope I never grow into an egg allergy. But if I do, this will be very helpful! Congratulations on your happy news, and thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope mine goes away! I want an omelet! :oD Thanks for stopping by and for hosting!

      Delete
  5. I have known for years that I was very sensitive to eggs. I finally gave them up for good about a year ago... I have felt so much better since doing so. These tips are great as I have stopped doing much baking since giving them up. I have used the ground flax seed and hot water before. Never tried mixing it with applesauce though! I am pinning this for future reference. I would also like to invite you to link this post up at my Facebook Link Up today. Hope to see you there! https://www.facebook.com/atipicalday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Meredith! I hope you can enjoy baking again. I will be posting a fabulous chocolat cake with out eggs next week. If you like chocolate you should try it! :o)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the info. I have used the chia/water substitute before and it works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Charlie, just wanted you to know I am featuring you and this post on my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! What a neat post!! :)

    Thanks again for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baking without eggs can be an adventure! My son was allergic to eggs for his 1st 4 years, so I learned a lot (by trial and error!). He can have them now, but I still like lots of vegan and eggless recipes. BTW, congrats! My sister is expecting her 1st and I am beyond thrilled :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to your sister! Babies are so sweet! This pregnancy is really changing the way I eat. I hope that I can go back to my usual stomach of steel soon!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your pregnancy...how exciting! This is a great tip for those that want to reduce or can't have eggs. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment