Free Sewing Pattern: Animal Cell Softie

Alexander, my 12yo, came home a couple of weeks ago with his first Science project of the year. He had to make a 3 D animal or plant cell model and it could not be made out of food, due to an ant problem with last year's projects. He was really disappointed because he wanted to make it out of food; he really likes to bake. I suggested that we make a softie cell model together or he could make a clay and/or styrofoam one. I was pretty excited about making a cell pillow and he caught my enthusiasm.
I knew he could not make the pattern or do the sewing, so I wrote an email to his teacher to make sure that it was okay that I made those parts. He said that would be fine! So off we went. I made the pattern based on a picture sent home for him to label and define. 

While I was drawing everything out Alexander was labeling and defining his cell parts. (I put his key he typed up on here for you as well. Please remember it was written by a 12yo and could have much more information about the different parts of an animal cell that he has yet to learn.) Certain numbers were skipped because they were specific to the plant cell on the other half of the page.
Alexander had to cut out everything. It was a new experience for him and 3 hours into it, he said, "I wish I was doing a styrofoam ball!" (And I laughed. What a cruel mom!) It did take him a long time to do. So, if you have younger children they may not have the patience for this project without more help. After he was done he laid his cell out as he wanted it and I pinned it down to sew. Afterwards, Blythe spent the next day playing with it. (Durability. Check!)

Materials:
Craft felt 1/2 sheet (8.5”x11”) in
Dark Purple, Light Purple, Light Green, Medium Blue, Grey, Light Blue, Gold, Orange, Pink, Dark Pink, Tan, Dark Blue, White, Black
1/4 yard red fleece
1/4 yard of light yellow cotton
1/4 yard of stiff felt like interfacing
at least one light thread and dark thread color
stuffing
sewing machine, needle, scissors, printer, paper

I had Alexander complete step 6. I thought it would be good for him to sew a bit too. 
When it was all done he loved it. I asked him if it was worth the hours he had spent cutting it all out and he said, "Definitely!" So, I consider this project a success. I wish I had taken a final picture of it. He pinned labels on each of the pieces and put his label sheet in a page protector that he hung from the loop. It looked sharp. He came home proud of his project and presentation!

Here is my pattern double click below and it will take you to the pdf:
I hope this will be a fun and educational project for you to make too!
Have a wonderful day!

Shared at these Party Places & "Wow us Wednesday."

Comments

  1. unique for sure! So glad he loved it and he felt all that effort was worth it - especially in these days of instant gratification!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I am really glad that he loved it in the end because it wasn't an easy project for him. I like challenging work, that's part of being a mama because motherhood is not for wimps. I want my kids to enjoy the fruits of their labor so that they will push themselves as well. It's so nice to see an appreciation for hard work growing in them. Have a wonderful weekend with your kiddos!

      Delete
  2. Wow this is impressive. Better than anything I ever did for a science fair! Kudos! Thanks so much for linking up last week on the Creative Spark Link Party. We would love for you to link up again this week! http://bit.ly/1BLLyxp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you like it! Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  3. I love, love, LOVE this, Charlie! As a former 7th grade life science teacher, I would have been FLOORED if one of my kiddos came in with something as cool as this, and probably offered to buy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!! How fun is that! I would have loved to get a project like that when I was a teacher... Also featuring this today over at Nap-Time Creations ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this on Fabulous Friday last week, I'm going to feature the animal pattern cell.. it next week! its really so cool.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Charlie, I am featuring your cool animal pattern cells at my Fabulous Friday Party this week. So stop by
    Hugs
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this so much! Totally doing this for my science project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! How much did all of this cost?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment